RTW Charitable Foundation works to improve opportunities for all people to live healthier, longer lives.
Advance research to develop therapeutics for rare diseases
Core to our mission, we support research in ultra-rare diseases with a special emphasis on projects that have the clearest potential to lead to a therapy. Our research grants provide up to $150,000 of funding per year, and we are open to proposals that involve any therapeutic modality, with a particular interest in nucleic acid–based treatments.
We welcome proposals on any ultra-rare disease. To help you decide whether your project falls within the scope of our funding priorities, these are a few of the questions that we consider when evaluating proposals:
- Is the condition in question a monogenetic, life-threatening disease that affects <2K people in the US?
- Are there no commercial programs for the development of therapies for this condition?
- Is there a high unmet medical need? What is the standard of care? Are there other treatments available?
- Is the benefit/risk ratio high enough to justify the use of the proposed therapeutic modality?
- Is there a clinically meaningful outcome that can be measured as clinical-trial endpoint?
- Does a therapeutic window exist to obtain such an outcome through the proposed therapeutic modality?
- Is there a viable path to patient recruitment for a first-in-human clinical trial?
If you think your research can indeed lead to the development of a new therapy or if you are not sure, follow the link below to send us a short description of your project, and we will be in touch with feedback as soon as possible. We are currently accepting applications on a rolling basis.
Policy & Education